Thursday, January 19, 2012

My first knitting project

I learned to crochet when I was in the third grade, but until recently, I had never tried to learn to knit, though I always planned to someday. Well, I finally made someday happen, and decided to knit my mom a cowl for Christmas.

Knit Cowl

I did a simple stockinette stitch using a yarn I got from Joann's that was in a colorway I thought my mom would like.

Knit Cowl

Interesting facts I learned:
  1. Stockinette stitch will curl in on itself. If you don't want this to happen, you should border your work with another stitch, like garter stitch.
  2. Always plan out how much yarn you need and what length you want it to end up. If you just say "I'll just go until I run out of yarn.", you'll likely end up at an odd length where you wish it was either shorter or longer.
  3. You can make a pretty gather to hide the seam on the back (if you aren't knitting in the round) using the tails you're weaving in.
  4. I think I personally prefer a regular loop for my cowls, instead of adding a mobius-like twist. But that is just personal preference. :)
It's far from perfect, but I though it was pretty good for my very first try at knitting. :)

<3 Kelsey

3 comments:

Comments for Kelsey Creates