Sunday, January 23, 2011

Happy {Early} Birthday to Me!

Sew, I mentioned yesterday that I got distracted most of last week with an early birthday present from my husband. Without further ado:


And what is this hiding under here?


Now those of you who know me may be thinking, "Wait, but isn't your birthday in *March*?" Why yes, yes it is. "And isn't this January?" Yup. This wasn't always the plan. My husband is notoriously bad at keeping gifts secret. I almost always know what I am getting as a gift for any gifty holidays well in advance. So this is how it went down:

December
Hubs: So, for Christmas, I'm going to watch Paul so you can go to a quilting class.
Me: Ooo
Christmas passes
Me: I was thinking I might go to a Modern Quilt Guild meeting instead.
I go to the January meeting of our local modern quilt guild.
Later that evening...
Hubs: I still want you to take a class at our LQS.
Me: But I thought today was supposed to count for that?
Hubs: I want you to take it because I want you to get to try out the different machines they have. I'm getting you a new sewing machine for your birthday.
Me: flabbergasted
Hubs: I want you to get a nice one.
Me: Immediately gets laptop and starts researching sewing machines.
Me: Hey, look, our LQS is having a birthday celebration in two weeks to celebrate their birthday - all their machines are going to be 30% off.
Hubs: We should get it then then.
Me: Continue researching what I want all week. Long arm is out of price range, but looking to get something better than the 6.5" throat space my little Kenmore has. Also decide I really want a quilting frame and automatic stitch regulator. I see how much stitch regulators cost.
Me: I might have to get a stitch regulator for Christmas next year. ;)
Next Saturday
Hubs: I'm surprised you aren't going over to look at the machines and pick out what you want so you know for next Saturday.
Me: Gets dressed, goes to store to look.
LQS: You can get any of the machines at the sale price now actually.
Me and LQS: Go over what I'm looking for. I don't really want lots of fancy stitches. I just want a sturdy machine that can straight stitch with a bigger throat space. I don't mind loading my bobbins manually, etc. Two features I would enjoy: stitch up/down and a thread cutter. Keeping my Kenmore for clothing, zig-zags, etc.
LQS: Shows me Janome 1600, which is just about exactly what I want.
LQS: Calls shop owner to ask if there is a frame that came with it. There isn't, BUT, they just got a used 2 year old Viking that, I kid you not, is just about the exact same machine, with some different icons. Made by the same manufacturer. And it comes with a quilting frame AND an automatic stitch regulator for the same price as the Janome 1600.
Me: Falls in love. They place it on hold for me.
Me: Goes home, feeds baby, talks to husband.
Hubs: Go ahead and get it now, but you have to set aside some time to play Rift Beta with me next week. [a video game]
Me: Goes back to LQS and brings her home. :D

And that is how I got my birthday present two months early. :P

My husband is the best. ^_^

I used it to sew the Disappearing Nine Patch I talked about in my last post. It sews like a dream. ^_^

<3 Kelsey

P.S. And just to be fair, we got my husband his birthday present this week too. And his birthday is in { MAY }! ;)

10 comments:

  1. Sorry about the double comment above. Blogger told me there was a service error. =P Your birthday story is great! I love Viking machines. I've had my 500 for 15 years now, and had another Viking before that. They are workhorses! One repair in all those years - done free. If I ever buy another machine, it'll be a Viking also. But why would I when this one does everything? Except I want a longarm again. Loved that. I want to see your frame, too. Love the Eric Carle quilt. I have the fabric but haven't used it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your new machine. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing birthday gift!!! I love me simple sturdy machine and quilting frame. I wanted the same things and ended up getting a Juki. Happy quilting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I have a confession to make: I really love Project Runway. As I sat and watched all the personalities file in and Heidi with her mom-shag and suit of indeterminate color (red? coral? fire orange?) michael kors uk take the stage, I was as giddy as a 13-year-old who’s been waiting six hours for Justin Bieber. It’s just damn good entertainment. I make no apologies for my uncoolness. Obviously there are still several weeks of Project Runway to air before the finale show. So ten designers showed full collections today macys michael kors as a decoy, because the public can’t possibly be trusted with such high-level information as who the real three finalists are. The Theatre at Lincoln Center was a madhouse before Michael Kors Wallet the show. I saw the staff kick a pregnant woman out of a seat because it was for the sponsors. Despite her plea to allow them to let her stay Michael Kors Sale until someone claimed the seat, they hauled her up and out of there.
    For brands that don't lend themselves as naturally to those kinds of conversations, what's extremely common is michael kors partnering with local influencers — called Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs) in China — which include bloggers, “It” girls, models, musicians and other tastemakers with substantial followings.“We’ve found that authenticity is Michael Kors shoulder-bags also key to our strategy – consumers appreciate genuine, real life content of models and celebrities,” says Avery Baker, Tommy Hilfiger’s chief brand and marketing officer. On the day of michael kors factory its 30th anniversary show in Bejing, the brand hired Chinese model Qin Shu Pei to take over its Weibo account and post behind-the-scenes content.

    ReplyDelete

  5. شركة نقل اثاث من الدمام الى الرياض شركة نقل اثاث من الدمام الى الرياض
    ارخص شركة نقل اثاث بمكة شركة نقل اثاث بمكة
    شركة نقل اثاث من جدة الى الاردن شركة نقل اثاث من جدة الى الاردن
    شركة نقل اثاث من الرياض الى مصر شركة نقل اثاث من الرياض الى مصر

    ReplyDelete

Comments for Kelsey Creates