Saturday, January 22, 2011

Friday Night Sew-In Results

So, I fully intended to take lots of pretty pictures today while there was nice natural light, but the day somehow escaped me, so here we are with indoor night time photos yet again. Sorry. Again.

Last night I spent my Friday Night Sew-In putting together this quilt top. I started with a package of 8 Superman and Batman inspired fabrics, and added in some Kona Black for a 9th fabric.  This gave me the flexibility to cut whatever sized blocks I wanted for the 9 patch and my total number of blocks would still be a multiple of 9. :) Many of the prints were rather large and I wanted to preserve them, so I did a large 9"x9" square size, so each 9-patch block is 26" x 26", for a total top size of 52" x 52". Perfect for a little boy. :)

IMG_0762

I did try to fussy-cut when I could given I only had a few inches extra to work with on the width of the FQ, and only millimeters vertically. This was favorite of the fussy-cut blocks:

IMG_0763

The plan is to back it with a black minky, do some straight-line quilting, and bind it with some more of the Kona Black.

I'm thinking a nice little Superman cape may be just the thing to round out this gift. Or should it be a Batman cape? Hmmm, decisions, decisions....

<3 Kelsey

PS. Linking up to Fabric Tuesday and Too Cute Tuesday. :)

13 comments:

  1. Sooooo Cute! I have 4 grandsons, I think one of each and wrap it up and ship it! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the batman quilts. I have backed quilts with Minky before and it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how fun and congratulations on the FNSI win :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great quilt! Definitely do the cape otherwise the quilt may be substituted for a cape and dragged all over the place which could shorten it's usage time dramatically.
    Congrats on your FNSI win!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it, and either of my boys would at the appropriate age, too. Maybe even now. LOL. Go with Superman.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the FNSI win. The quilt is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I am sure the little boy who receives this great quilt will adore it.
    Congratulations Klasey on winning FNSI.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on winning the FNSI prize! Your quilt is great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That quilt is wonderful!!! Congrats on your win!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah my little boys would go crazy for this! They spend their days in costume beating up invisible bad guys :) So so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. heeheehee make a reversible cape red one side - black the other

    ReplyDelete
  12. heeheehee make a reversible cape red one side - black the other

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the FNSI win. The quilt is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Comments for Kelsey Creates