Friday, July 18, 2014

{the Purge} Week 1

Have you heard about the purge by Rachel of Stitched In Color? Its a chance for all of use to work through the fabric in our stash that just doesn't excite us any more for one reason or another. Then Rachel is hosting links to show off how we used it every other week.

For myself, I knew exactly what I wanted to tackle. Over the last few years I've been quilting, I've managed to accrue a number of stacks of fabric that were purchased and set aside for a specific project. But if I didn't start the project right away, they ended up languishing on my shelves, mocking me for not having started them yet, making me feel guilty that I need to do those planned projects before I start new projects I'm inspired to work on right now, and not being a useful contribution to my stash since they are already reserved.

It's not that the fabrics are by any means ugly - many of them are great, but its just the fact it was a project I never started, and now the excitement when I first bought fabrics for them has dwindled and it feels more like a burden to complete them. To such an extent for some months now I've forbidden myself to buy fabric for a specific project unless I was able to start it immediately, so it wouldn't continue to pile on. 

So for my part in the purge, I'd like to work through those backed up stacks of fabric and actually turn them into the projects I intended them for.

So first up I brought out my Chicopee that I bought to make this quilt. This quilt is destined for our bed - this will be my first time having a legitimate quilt for my own bed - woot woot!

So far, I've already been able to complete the top:

Chicopee quilt top complete #thepurge #fcmqg

It sure felt good to free up those 26 comic book boards these were taking up in my stash. :) And double bonus, I'll be showing it at the Rocky Mountain Quilt Festival next month!

<3 Kelsey

Linking up to:
Show and Tell Tuesday: http://ihavetosay.typepad.com/randi/show-and-tell-tuesday/
Fabric Tuesday: http://quiltstory.blogspot.com/2014/07/fabric-tuesday-and-new-pattern.html

31 comments:

  1. oh my goodness, that is BEAUTIFUL! Found this via Rachel's blog, and I always love me some Denyse Schmidt. Your points look enviable, and I really like how the mix of these prints in this shape is dynamic and harmonious at the same time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :) And I must be honest, I definitely had to rip out some of those points and re-do them to get them to match up to what I wanted. I don't know what I was thinking doing this without starching. (Well, actually, I know exactly what I was thinking, which was not wanting to wait to get started until I could buy some more starch! But I question past-Kelsey's priorities there. ;) )

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, and it's gorgeous!!! I love your triangles. That's going to be fantastic on your bed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm quite excited for it to be on my bed. Amazing how actually starting helps rekindle the excitement you had for a project that has lingered. :)

      Delete
  3. Rosemary B here :-)
    I agree, this quilt is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosemary - thanks for stopping by. So glad you enjoyed my quilt top. :)

      Delete
  4. Ta da! Such great fabrics in there. Well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Denyse Schmidt is one talented fabric designer. :)

      Delete
  5. Absolutely gorgeous!! What size triangles did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each edge of the triangles is 11" finished. I knew I wanted them to be large, and I picked the final size in order to optimize what I could get from the fat quarters that I had.

      Delete
  6. Its a joy seeing you finally creating a piece for yourself. The beautiful colors and prints are definitely you. Super job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, once it started coming together it was more exciting again. And the finish will be extra satisfying as it not only will be a quilt I enjoy, but also ticks an item off my list of piles. I am definitely a list-maker at heart - somehow just crossing that off is satisfying in itself lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice website. Thanks for share it.
    https://ablackfridaydeals.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hoped for before you know it in the least. Reasonably unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or anything, web site theme . a tones way for your customer to communicate. Nice task.House For You

    ReplyDelete

Comments for Kelsey Creates