Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Best Laid Plans

If you remember, I was having difficulty deciding what fabric to use for my FWQAL. I even put together this survey to help gather some feedback. I was worried I wouldn't get very clear results, but fortunately there was a clear winner.


Orange and aqua was the clear favorite as soon as people started voting. Here it is again to remind you of what it looked like:

FWQ_two_color_aqua_orange

I started to plan. I selected Kona turquoise and orange. I was only a little hesitant because I already have a orange and aqua quilt in the works and it'd be a bit redundant, but hey, I like orange and aqua. Then I got an email from fabricworm, and I saw this fabric bundle:


It felt at once both fresh and sophisticated, and yet very different from the color combinations that I usually see around blogland. I know purple isn't for everyone, but I liked it. :)

So I ordered my bundle and patiently waited. I printed out my paper piecing templates. I've decided to go in the order they are presented in the book rather than numerical order, since I didn't feel like searching around the book for each block. This meant that my first block was #26, Cut Glass Dish:

FWQAL Block #26
FWQAL Block #26 - Cut Glass Dish
That was a LOT of tiny pieces for my first block! It took me two long evenings to get it together with all those little points (mostly) lining up. (Do note that I am not going to trim my blocks to the precise 6.5" until I am ready to assemble them, so unfortunately the edges will look uneven in these pictures, but then hopefully will be more accurate when it comes to putting the top together!)

The second block was #53 - Kitchen Woodbox:

FWQAL Block #54
FWQAL Block #54 - Kitchen Woodbox
This block was MUCH simpler and easy to assemble.

And here they are together:

FWQAL Week #1
FWQAL Week #1

The greens in these pictures still aren't quite right - hopefully I'll figure out how to get the color to show true soon. The greens are much close to what appears in the fabric bundle above.

2 blocks down, 108 to go!


I'm linking to Quilt Story, see my party page/sidebar for their button

<3 Kelsey

19 comments:

  1. Actually, I was telling my husband last week that I feel like there aren't enough GOOD purples in the fabric world. It's one of the reasons that I was so happy to see some purple prints beginning to show up online. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love purple, and purple/green/blue combos are the best. In fact, I dobelieve I too have a purple/green/blue palette for FWQ :)
    Beautiful blocks, I look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry and Tifani SantAugust 11, 2011 at 7:16 AM

    If you had put purple and green up as an option, I would have picked it! They are my favorite colors of all time and I love the combo! Your quilt is going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There definitely aren't! I always assumed they just must not manufacture as many as a result of people being rather polarized on whether they like them or not. But maybe I'm wrong. :)

    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you like it. ^_^ Now if only my husband felt the same. ;)

    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  6. I most definitely would have put it up as an option if I had seen that bundle before I already posted the survey, but I figured people didn't want yet another round of voting, lol! I'm so glad you like it! ^_^

    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your color combo! I am new to this and am wondering how
    you paper pieced the blocks-did you find it online and print the
    paper piecing templates?
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you have EQ 5, 6, or 7 you can print the paper piecing templates. Alternatively, you can find them in the Files section for this Yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/farmerswifesampler/

    Thanks for stopping by! :)

    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are beautiful blocks - the fabrics go together perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the color combo! Hope to start on my own blocks soon. Those little pieces can be murder, can't they?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, all those little pieces took forever! And more than the time, it seemed a lot harder to match all the points on that tiny scale...

    I'd love to see what you come up with once you start your own!!

    <3 Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kelsey! Those fabrics look really wonderful! I would like to make a quilt with them! I feel that after quite much turquioise and orange that purple/lilach is really beautiful and exiting!
    Happy sewing! Teje

    ReplyDelete

Comments for Kelsey Creates