Tuesday, March 27, 2012

San Bruno Quilt Wrap-Up

Hello all,

This finish I'm sharing with you today was actually finished quite a while ago and has been living in its new home, but with the craziness of the inter-state move, I am just now getting around to posting it.

Some of you may remember this post where I asked help for making a quilt for one of my husband's coworkers who had a lot of terrible stuff happen in the previous year. Many lovely ladies donated their time and scraps to making blocks for this quilt. It took a bit longer than hoped to get all the necessary blocks, but I did get the quilt together in the beginning of this year.

San Bruno Quilt

This quilt was made using the Mod Mosaic pattern from Elizabeth Hartman, available for free on her blog, Oh Fransson!. This pattern is simple enough, but very time consuming. I had to make 9 blocks myself, and each block took over an hour easily.

San Bruno Quilt

I had to get a bit creative with the block arrangement to accommodate all of the different interpretations of orange. I tried to just go with the different colors and use that in the layout to create "windows" of the different hues rather than just having a few randomly stand out.

I quilted it using a sort of boxy stippling, also inspired from Mz. Hartman.

San Bruno Quilt

The final dimensions ended up around 64" x 80", which is pretty huge for me. My mom had to stand on a stool just so we could get a picture without it dangling on the ground. :)

San Bruno Quilt

This quilt was made pretty much entirely from scraps from ladies all around the world, and as such I think it appropriate to link up to Rachel's Festival of Scrappiness at Stitched In Color. Whether or not a group quilt qualifies for the competition, I think it is a scrappy quilt to be celebrated for all the work the amazing volunteers put into it.

<3 Kelsey

P.S. Linking up at sew & tell.

13 comments:

  1. These are time-consuming, you're right. But this is a gorgeous quilt, and your husband's co-worker is going to be so blessed by it. And while it may seem huge for you, it'll probably be just right for him. :) Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful, Kelsey! Thanks for posting about it - I was honored to share a small part....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it most definitely is only just big enough for him - I think I've just gotten to used to bee blocks, baby quilts and pillow covers. :)

    Thanks so much for coming by and being so supportive!

    Keksey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for helping!!

    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great! Thanks for the opportunity to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's stunning. Beautiful job!
    Good luck on the move!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this, I was just wondering the other day how this turned out...it looks great, and I'll bet that family is so happy with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rachel at Stitched in Color HaMarch 29, 2012 at 7:21 AM

    I'm so glad to see this lovely quilt finished. It's gorgeous and it totally qualifies. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh....I just love how this turned out Kelsey! These were some of my very favorite blocks to make...ever :o) You're right, they take some time to do, but it's so much fun to play with the scraps :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can only express a word of thanks. Because with the content on this blog I can add knowledge I, thank has been sharing this information. Do not forget to visit our website to share information and knowledge about health.
    khasiat walatra propolis
    Obat Nyeri ulu Hati
    OBAT BATU GINJAL ALAMI
    khasiat vitamin anak
    agen QnC Jelly Gamat banjarmasin

    ReplyDelete

Comments for Kelsey Creates