Friday, May 13, 2011

Bloggers' Quilt Festival

Amy's Creative SideTo those who are new - welcome! To those who are coming back - it's good to see you again. :) I hope you'll take some time to peek around and check out a few of my projects.

Today is the beginning of Bloggers' Quilt Festival, hosted by the lovely Amy at amyscreativeside.com.  Twice a year she holds an online quilt festival to coincide with Quilt Market, a trade show for all things quilty.  It's a great chance to get to see what so many other talented quilters have been working on, and for many of us helps us get through Market week without turning completely green in envy towards those who get to go. :)
Last year I posted about my Halloween table runner. At that time I had yet to finish a normal sized quilt, so this is really my first BQF where I have a real quilt to show off. I'll try to keep the text brief - I know most of ya'll have a lot of posts to get through, and let's be honest, we're all mostly after the pictures anyways! I'd like to start with my most recent quilt, "Behind the Closet Door". This quilt was designed with a very special recipient in mind for her wedding gift.

Clear shot of the front

This quilt is big enough to cover a Full (Double) bed.  I used a Fat Quarter stack of Art Gallery fabrics that I won from the most generous Quilt Dad together with Kona Ash sashing. I backed it with a soft yellow flannel - I find flannel helps keep quilts from sliding off of the bed a wee bit better. :) It actually is oriented the other direction, but I unfortunately was not able to get many pictures before I needed to give it away. It was inspired by Japanese influenced closet doors. This quilt is really special to be both because it's the biggest I've made to date, but more importantly because it's the first quilt where I really feel it fits my aesthetic. I love making gifts, but often compromise my own tastes for the intended recipient, but in this case I really feel I made the quilt I wanted to make.  I can't wait to get to try more modern quilts. (Quilt originally posted here.)

If you don't mind sticking around for something extra, I'd also like to show you my first "real" quilt I finished last December.  I designed this quilt myself for my mother-in-law, who is crazy for lighthouses. Hopefully you can catch that each column forms one lighthouse.  I like that it uses relatively simple and common components to create a more complicated design. (Strip piecing, pinwheels, flying geese, etc.)

IMG_0614

It was originally inspired by this amazing panel I found on Etsy:

IMG_0619

I still love this fabric. It's not at all modern, which is my usual taste, but feels almost like a painting and invokes some level of nostalgia. It will always be special to me because it was my first real quilt, and the design was completely my own, and fit the recipient so perfectly. (Quilt originally posted here.)

I'm so glad you were able to join along today. I sure hope to see more of you in the future!

<3 Kelsey

42 comments:

  1. Wow! Gorgeous quilts. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love that first quilt! I'm loving solids these days, and I like how you broke up the perfect symmetry a bit with this one. It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you did with those solids - really unusual. And that lighthouse design is fabulous, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the rainbows, and the light house is very original! Great panel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your bed quilt! Great to be able to make something you really love for yourself!

    And I love how you used biased stripes for the light house. So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your quilts - very simple but effective. I especially like your lighthouses. Wonderful design!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fabrics translated into your pattern very well. Love the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That quilt is amazing - I love the concept behind it, the gradation of colors with the breaks of grey. BEAUTIFUL. And I really love your lighthouses - what awesome graphic appeal, excellent design!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun quilt and so nice you were able to please yourself while making itcfor someone else. The lighthouse quilt is wonderful Thanls for sharing them both and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful idea for a wedding quilt. All the colors of the rainbow, even the grey of the rain which serves to reflect the prism of promise in gorgeous color.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know exactly what you mean--I like the quilts I design myself the best. When someone wants me to make them a quilt, and they dictate the colors, the design, I feel like the fun is taken out it. My quilting is my "art", if you take my creativity out of it, it isn't mine anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely! And I love love love the use of grey to offset the colors! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your multi-colored closet door quilt. I am kind of a color nut so I really enjoy this rainbow of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi kelsey. This is a wonderful quilt. Great design. A very special gift!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. two super quilts! Thanks for sharing. I'm off to stalk the rest of your blog LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Behind the Closet Door is a gorgeous quilt! The light houses are fun. Great projects!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very original with those beautiful solids. Chapeau!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think both those quilts are great and I especially like the lighthouse one because it's something you liked even though it wasn't your normal "taste". I think it's great when a quilt or piece of art can pull us out of that zone.

    ReplyDelete
  19. fun quilts! I especially like the rainbow quilt as I'm "percolating" some ideas for one of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's beautiful! That's about as "real" as it gets, your colors are fabulous and it looks like something I'd love to snuggle under.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is so beautiful in it's simplicity! Love it~

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love those rainbowy strips!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Both these quilts are very cool! I love the colors on the top one and your friend must have been floored to receive such a great gift. Super!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great quilt - it looks like a paint box. The lighthouse is awesome too.
    Come see my entries #211, repro cheddar orange stars and #215 antique 1850 applique flower garden

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really like the style and simplicity of the wedding gift quilt. The colors are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am sure that your friend loves your wedding quilt- it is so bright and fresh looking.
    I love your lighthouse quilt- it is very clever- I bet it is also well loved.
    Thanks for sharing-
    Enjoy the festival.
    Warmest regards,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love both those quilts!! The lighthosue one is such a cute idea. My mom loves lighthouses, so I may need to borrow this idea. :) Congrats on finishing your first quitls this year, it's a good feeling isn't it?

    Cheers!
    Rachel
    http://www.dewberrylane.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your closet doors quilt - beautiful and subtle!

    ReplyDelete
  29. all of them are wonderful, but the lighthouses! I think may steal your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  30. all of them are wonderful, but the lighthouses! I think may steal your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love both those quilts!! The lighthosue one is such a cute idea. My mom loves lighthouses, so I may need to borrow this idea. :) Congrats on finishing your first quitls this year, it's a good feeling isn't it?

    Cheers!
    Rachel
    http://www.dewberrylane.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love those rainbowy strips!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi kelsey. This is a wonderful quilt. Great design. A very special gift!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a beautiful idea for a wedding quilt. All the colors of the rainbow, even the grey of the rain which serves to reflect the prism of promise in gorgeous color.

    ReplyDelete
  35. The fabrics translated into your pattern very well. Love the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love what you did with those solids - really unusual. And that lighthouse design is fabulous, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I really love that first quilt! I'm loving solids these days, and I like how you broke up the perfect symmetry a bit with this one. It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

  38. ارخص شركة شحن عفش

    نقل عفش من جدة الى مكة نقل عفش من جدة الى مكة
    شركة نقل عفش من جدة الى الامارات نقل عفش من جدة الى الامارات
    افضل شركة نقل عفش من جدة الى الرياض نقل عفش من جدة الى الرياض
    شركة نقل عفش من جدة الى الدمام نقل عفش من جدة الى الدمام
    شركة نقل عفش من المدينة المنورة الى مكة نقل عفش من المدينة المنورة الى مكة



    ReplyDelete

Comments for Kelsey Creates