Thursday, October 14, 2010

Paul's Nursery

Finally getting around to posting pictures of Paul's nursery here. :)


I made the canopy from a pale green organza that I picked up at Joann's and a curtain rod I picked up at Ross. Structurally it is basically a set of curtains with a button and loop fastener in the middle so I can close it around the crib. It reaches to the floor and is essentially our second line of defense against the cats in case the door to the nursery accidentally gets left open. (Yes, everywhere we've read cats aren't usually a problem, but ours have sat on our faces in the middle of the night and forced us to move to breathe, so we just aren't taking a chance of a cat misguidedly trying to snuggle up to Paul.)

We aren't allowed to paint our walls,  and one of our friends gave us those lovely tree decals to help break up the walls. They come off really easily and can be used again at our next place; they kind remind me of the stickers we used to put on windows as a kid. They actually look really nice, and not like stickers at all - a wonderful invention for us apartment renters. :)



I also had made a color-coordinated gathered bedskirt a while back which I already wrote about back here.


The other major piece I made for the room is a quilted rug shaped like a monkey, inspired by the nursery rhyme "Five Little Monkeys".  (Poor little monkey fell off the bed....) The top is made of a fuzzy fabric similar to a stuffed animal, and the bottom is a heavy brown corduroy, and is quilted together using very loose free motion quilting. This was my first time quilting using my machine, and all I had was my zig-zag foot. (I've since purchased a free motion foot, but haven't gotten to play with it yet - another day.) The fur was so thick that a single strand of thread all but disappeared, so I used a different stitch on my machine where it went over each stitch about 3 times. The tail is a separate piece attached after all of the quilting was done.


Here's a picture of the other corner of the room with the rockers, toy box, stuffed animals, and a painting I did a while back in college a couple years ago. The rocker was given to us by a coworker who no longer needed it for her kids. We've been incredibly blessed with gifts for Paul altogether - we've hardly had to buy a thing for ourselves other than the crib and dresser!

At some point I'll get around to making a pillow with an applique monkey for the rocker and a cover for the top of the dresser, but I'm well pleased with the nursery as is. :)

Kelsey

P.S. linking up to the following:

Party Button NightOwlCrafting

23 comments:

  1. Paul's room is absolutely darling - you did a beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a beautiful nursery. you were so creative with everything

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay, the monkey on the floor is so funny I almost peed my pants! so dang smart and clever!

    lovely room to go to sleep in, play in and be a kid in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful nursery! The quilted monkey rug is darling! What a great room to grow up in! I am new to amylouwho's site and her "Sew & Tell Fridays" and I'm so glad that I found her site and your's as well! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely love the rug! It cracks me up! Very creative! Those the rest of the room and those stickers look great too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I am really impressed! I had no idea you were this good at sewing and all things "crafty!" I'm a fledgling seamstress myself these days, so I appreciate the hard work you must have put in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This baby room is soooo cute! The wall stickers are such a good idea for a rental. You did a really great job on the rug- what a clever idea to make the tail like that.

    Before we had our first son, we had a cat that thought the crib was his when we set it up. He would not stay out of it- and he was pushing 20 pounds! So we sent him to live at my SIL's til the baby could catch up to him, but by then she was in love with him so we let her keep him. Our other cat couldn't have cared less about the crib or the baby. Kinda funny. I thought I would NEVER have given either of my cats up for anything... but that baby sure changes things! (And we still got/get to see the kitty all the time.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. CUTE! I would love to feature your room on my website. Could you please email me? uniquebabygear at bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there! I am your newest follower from the Wednesday linky!!! I love finding new blogs and yours is lovely:) You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

    CUTE! i'm getting ready to start on a nursery for our little girl!! If you stop by my blog, check out my giveaways. It's all baby stuff and handmade. I'm guessing you would like it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cute nursery, you did a fab job!! I love the tree decals and that rug is too cute :) Thanks so much for sharing, see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable! I'm due in December with our first child and we have been doing his nursery in monkeys too. I just love the theme. I have a few pictures posted on my blog at
    www.tidbitsofabby.blogspot.com if you want to see. To Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this is too adorable, I'm all about all things Monkey, hence the name. LOL I'd love for you to link up at Texas Monkey for All About You and show this off. http://texasmonkey.blogspot.com/2010/10/all-about-you-monday-link-up_25.html We have a party every Monday so would love for you to be a regular with all of your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  13. CUTE! I would love to feature your room on my website. Could you please email me? uniquebabygear at bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I am really impressed! I had no idea you were this good at sewing and all things "crafty!" I'm a fledgling seamstress myself these days, so I appreciate the hard work you must have put in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful nursery! The quilted monkey rug is darling! What a great room to grow up in! I am new to amylouwho's site and her "Sew & Tell Fridays" and I'm so glad that I found her site and your's as well! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Big Head Football is the well-known game among football lovers with many famous games Head Soccer or Big Head Soccer andbig head basketball . Join big head basketball championship of this awesome basketball game. Choose your player, take part in this championship Head Soccer, Big Head Soccer or Big Head Football.

    ReplyDelete

Comments for Kelsey Creates